Saturday 1 February 2014

Cheesy chilli leftover tortillas

It’s Saturday and I had one too many (2 for 1) cocktails last night. Feeling delicate, lazy and perhaps most importantly RAVENOUS.

I want something comforting and perhaps cheesy to dig into. But - disaster - there is no bread! If there is one thing that we rarely waste it is bread. Carl is a bread fiend.

But what’s this lurking in the cupboard? Left over tortilla wraps from a fajita dinner earlier in the week! We have limited space in our freezer and inevitably I always have left over tortilla wraps and never use them all before they go mouldy. Eight is just too many for one dinner, and making a wrap for a work day lunch inevitably ends with a soggy wrap (gross) and both me and my desk covered in mayo. Just not cool.

This idea was a bit of an experiment but bear with it – it really was delicious!

Here’s what I used – but you can add or take away as you see fit.

The cheese is Caerphilly as this is what I had left, but any hard cheese would be nice, or feta or mozzarella would be good too...or even sliced halloumi would be delicious...or maybe some brie...mmmmm...too many cheese fantasies... Use as much as you like - I had a thumb sized bit left so that's what I went with.

This was a perfect opportunity to use up a few bits from the fridge. My spring onions have definitely seen better days, but don’t let the dark green slightly slimy outer leaves fool you, underneath is the same crisp and slightly sharp little spring onion that attracted me in the vegetable isle. The chilli is also left over from fajita night, and adds a lovely kick.

Preheat the oven to 180° - remembering to check you have no baking trays or baking parchment in there first. Woops...

Caerphilly (see what I did there?!) slice the chilli and a couple of spring onions. I left the seeds in the chilli because I like it spicy, but you can remove these if you like it a bit milder or add another chilli if you like it HOT.  Cut the tomato into chunks.

Grate, slice or crumble your cheese onto half of the tortilla wrap and sprinkle the other toppings on. This would also be a great place to use up any leftover coriander or parsley – that is the sort of thing that almost ALWAYS turns in to green mush in the fridge before I get to it.

I also added some Sumac, because I love its citrusy tangy taste. And white pepper, for a bit more of a kick. Black pepper would be fine too.

Tuck all your left over bits into the tortilla wrap, pop it on a baking tray.

Bake for 15 minutes, flipping over half way through.

And it’s done! Serve with some plain or Greek yoghurt or crème fraiche if you have it.

Time to close the blinds and shut out the rain (will it ever stop?), embrace the hangover, and stuff my face with this cheesy, spicy - and thrifty - lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment