Thursday 27 February 2014

Left-over Butternut Squash "Pesto"

One of my favourite things in the kitchen is to use leftovers to make a completely different type of meal. In my last post I mentioned reserving a couple of spoonfuls of roasted butternut squash from the spicy quinoa stuffed squash. This could apply any time you roast any type of squash, or even something like roasted peppers - hold back a bit and use it the next day for this perfect pasta dish. I have called it "Pesto" as this is what inspired this sauce, but I put it in "" to protect myself from the wrath of any pesto purists!

I moved out of my parents house just over a year ago, and as yet haven't built up much cooking equipment of my own beyond the basic pots, pans, wooden spoons and roasting tins. One thing I did invest in, however, is a hand blender.

I use the word invest quite loosely - the hand blender I own is a Tesco's own brand one. I tried to find it to post a link, but it isn't on their website. The point is, however, that you don't need to spend lots of money to get a hand blender that has the right attachments for you and does a perfectly good job. I used the small processor part for this recipe.

This would also be a great way to use up a little bit of basil - sometimes you don't have enough to make pesto, but then you risk it going limp and wasting it. I didn't have any for this, but do add it in at the whizzing up stage if you have some.

30g hazelnuts (I had these - use pine nuts if you have them)
20-30g vegetarian parmesan/grana padano
2 gloves garlic
Left-over butternut squash
Olive oil
Mange tout/sugar snaps/peas/broadbeans
Pasta for the number of people eating

Get the water on for the pasta, salted of course.

Combine the hazelnuts, cheese, garlic, squash and a couple of glugs of olive oil in the mixer. Whizz up until smooth, and something like this...


Season to taste.

Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. A couple of minutes before it is ready add in some green vegetables - I had some sad looking mangetout in the fridge so I used those.

Before draining the pasta reserve a little bit of the pasta water. This is a good tip for any pasta dish - it helps the sauce and pasta combine.

Drain the pasta. Return to the pan and add a knob of butter. Stir in the butternut squash mixture, heating gently. Add in some of the reserved pasta water to loosen it slightly.

Serve, garnished with some parmesan shavings.


No comments:

Post a Comment