Friday 14 March 2014

Home-made Mondays - Easy Cauliflower Frittata

My recipe for home-made Mondays this week was inspired by a rather under appreciated vegetable - the  cauliflower.

I tend to use it in curries, and it always works a treat. But I never use a whole head of cauliflower so end up left with some in the fridge. Not enough for cauliflower cheese, but I don't want it to go to waste as that would defeat the whole point of what I'm aiming to do! Must.reduce.the.waste.

I have seen quite a few vegan and gluten free recipes that use cauliflower as a substitute for anything from pizza bases to rice. I am yet to try this, but I will obviously keep you updated on my success/failure when I do!

In the mean time here is my recipe for cauliflower frittata. It ticks quite a lot of boxes; healthy, protein rich, left-over friendly, easy and delicious.

200g cauliflower florets - bite size
200g potatoes - 1cm cubed. Peeled if using older potatoes.
5 Spring onions - sliced thinly
5 eggs
100ml milk
Handful frozen peas
Olive oil
20-50g grated/crumbled cheese - cheddar, parmesan, feta

Preheat your grill to a medium heat.

Par boil the potatoes. Steam the cauliflower at the same time.

Break the eggs into a large bowl and beat gently with a fork. Add in the milk, spring onions, frozen peas, cooked cauliflower and potatoes. Season well, and give it a mix.

Heat a glug of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan (preferably one with an oven proof handle!). Pour in the egg mixture. Cook on a very low heat - be patient with this as otherwise you will burn the bottom and have uncooked egg on top. Not tasty!

After around 15 minutes on a low heat the bottom of the fritatta should be cooked. It will have firmed up around the very edges and be bubbling slightly in the middle.

Sprinkle the cheese over the top. Pop under the grill for 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Keep a close eye on it.

Serve hot, warm or cold with a side salad and some bread if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment