Monday 24 March 2014

Top tips for reducing food waste

So this week I have been thinking about my top tips to help reduce wasted food.

This was inspired by both volunteering for FoodCycle (see earlier post), but also from the fact that I struggled a bit last week and found myself buying ingredients when I already had stuff ready to be used in the fridge.

I'm not going to pretend that cooking from the store cupboard is always easy - in reality some nights you are tired and feel uninspired by what you can see in front of you.

But then I was so annoyed at the weekend when I had to throw away food that could have been used during the week, or certainly rescued before making a trip to the bin. So I decided to come up with some tips to help me re-focus on what The Store Cupboard Veggie is all about - reducing the waste and making delicious  vegetarian food.

Over the next couple of weeks I will be trying to post recipes and ideas with the following in mind. Some will even tick more than one box...how's that for multi-tasking?! Try to remember these when deciding what to eat, and hopefully we can all reduce the waste at least a bit.

1. Experiment - don't be afraid to try using the ingredients you have to hand
2. Don't stick to recipes - use recipes as inspiration, not a step-by-step guide
3. Use it all up recipes - have these on hand for when you have a lot of ingredients that need using, and possibly not a lot of time to use them
4. Use the freezer - to both store left-over food, but also to keep some of those ingredients fresh!
5. Spices - stock up, and actually use them! Having the right selections of spices to hand can transform a lot of tired ingredients
6. Prioritise - what needs to be used? Try to use fresh ingredients before turning to tinned or frozen food
7. Plan plan plan. Think about what ingredients you have, and how to get the most out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment